There are over one billion cars in the world right now, getting people from point A to point B. But cars aren’t just a mode of transportation; they also teach an excellent lesson in chemistry. Cynthia Chubbuck navigates the intricate chemistry performed in our car engines that keep them from getting too hot or too cold.
Watch a video about the antifreeze and coolant and answer the questions.
1. What kind of liquid can absorb the heat from an internal combustion engine?
2. Why do we need the cooling system?
3. What will happen if our car has water in the radiator and gets cold enough to freeze?
4. What is the highest recommended mixture of water and ethylene glycol?
5. What is the new freezing point and boiling point after using antifreeze and coolant?
Choose the best answer for each question.
1. Who does Jessica have her afternoon snack with?
b) the dogs
c) the crocodiles
2. Which room is Jessica’s favorite?
a) the bedroom
b) the kitchen
c) the bedroom
3. What does Jessica enjoy before go to bed?
a) a nice cup of tea
b) a massage
c) The video doesn’t say
4. What is Tony Joubert’s job?
a) He is a wildlife photographer.
b) He is a game warden.
c) He is a hunter.
5. What has Jessica broke in the house?
a) a sofa and a bed
b) lots of vases
c) a chair and a table
6. What other types of animal has Tony raised?
a) giraffes, tigers and bears
b) The video doesn’t say
c) elephants, buffaloes and lions
7. What does Jessica drink twice a day?
a) weak hot tea
b) weak sweet coffee
c) strong black coffee
8. How long do hippos usually live?
a) The video doesn’t say
b) into their forties
c) into their fifties
Nelson Mandela Listening Quiz
Choose the best answer for each question.
1. When was Nelson Mandela born?
a) July 18, 1919
b) July 18, 1918
c) July 19, 1919
2. ANC is short for…
a) The African Nation Congress
b) The African Nation Convention
c) The African Nationalist Congress
3. When did Nelson Mandela become head of the ANC’s Youth Wing?
a) in the 1960’s
b) in the 1950’s
c) in the 1940’s
4. When did South African government ban the African Nation Congress ?
a) in 1960
b) in 1963
c) in 1968
5. How much time did Nelson Mandela spent in the notorious Robben Island prison?
a) 15 years
b) 18 years
c) 21 years
6. When was Nelson Mandela finally released from the prison?
a) in 1987
b) in 1990
c) in 1994
7. How long did Nelson Mandela serve as President of South Africa?
a) 5 years
b) 10 years
c) 15 years
8. What did Nelson Mandela do on his 80th birthday?
a) the video doesn’t say
b) he celebrated his released from prison
c) he got married
While you listen, complete these sentences with words taken from the report.
1. Gas will soon become as important to the world as _______ is today.
2. There has been a global _______ in demand for natural gas.
3. The cleanest fossil fuel to burn is _______.
4. In the past it was only possible to transport gas short distances using _______.
5. Gas can now be frozen into _______ form and shipped in refrigerated tankers.
6. LNG is the abbreviation for liquefied _______ _______.
7. There are _______ and _______ risks associated with the development of LNG.
8. Despite high _______ costs, energy firms are investing heavily in LNG projects.
9. _______ could soon have a high level of control over the LNG market.
10. Experts say that gas could be the dominant fuel for the next _______ years.
While you listen, decide whether the following sentences are true or false.
1. Recently great advances have been made in motor technology. ___________
2. Engineers are constantly looking for new ways to use existing models. __________
3. Engineers have more freedom for experimentation than in Faraday’s times. _________
4. The newest motors lose more heat than the traditional motors. __________
5. The newest motors are more compact than they used to be. _________
6. A new motor developed by Omron may replace motors currently used in hydraulic systems. __________
Listen to a talk about the Airbus A380 and choose the correct answers.
1. Which countries do not collaborate in the manufacturing?
2. How far can the Airbus A380 go without refueling?
a) 1,000 km
b) 1,500 km
c) 15,000 km
d) 50,000 km
3. How long is the Airbus A380?
a) 17 meters
b) 23 meters
c) 70 meters
d) 73 meters
4. Where is the plane put together?
5. Where are the wings made?
Interested in becoming a forensic scientist? Watch this video to learn what a career as a forensic science tech is really like. Provides an overview of the day to day working life of a forensic scientist.
Watch this video about a forensic scientist and answer the questions.
1. Where do forensic science technicians work?
2. What do forensic science technicians do?
3. Give an example of an area of forensic science?
4. In what majors do forensic science technicians graduate?
5. How are forensic science technicians related to the legal system?