Watch a video about the Mariana Trench and choose the correct answers.
I. How old is the earth according to the video?
- 4.5 billion years
- 14 billion years
- 40 billion years
II. What is the deepest location on Earth and where is it located?
- The Mariana Trench : It is located in the western Pacific Ocean, to the east of the Mariana Islands.
- The Maria French : It is located in the Indian Ocean, to the east of the Mariana Islands.
- The Juliana Dent : It is located in the Arctic, to the west of the Mama Islands.
III. What is the name of the first vessel to reach the bottom of Challenger Deep.
- Three S
IV. How do we measure ocean depth?
- Make equally spaced marks on a rope. Lower the rope over the side of a ship until the rope touches the bottom.
- Send a sound from the ship towards the sea floor. Measure how long it takes to hear the echo.
- All correct.
V. What is the water pressure on the floor of the trench?
- less than 5 tons per square inch(over 10 times the standard atmospheric pressure at sea level)
- more than 8 tons per square inch(over 1000 times the standard atmospheric pressure at sea level)
- more than 10 tons per square inch(over 10,000 times the standard atmospheric pressure at sea level)
VI. How the Mariana Trench Became Earth’s deepest point?
- It is a Subduction zone.
- It is a black hole.
- It is a sea floor.
VII. What is a Subduction zone?
- Seafloor is formed as lava at mid-ocean ridges.
- A zone where one part of the seabed is pushed below another into the earth’s interior.
- Earth’s center.