If you ever wanted real-world proof that age is nothing but a number, you’ve found it. Meet Ernestine Shepherd. With her flat stomach, toned arms and excellent health, you’d never guess that this female bodybuilder is in her late 70s. But she is — 77, to be exact.
Watch a video about Ernestine Shepherd.
Choose the best answer.
1. How much weight does she bench press?
a) 115 lbs
b) 150 lbs
c) 155 lbs
d) 160 lbs
2. Which year did she enter the first body building competition?
3. Did she win any trophy?
c) We don’t know.
4. What is her mission?
a) She wants to motivate people to get fit.
b) She wants to hold more records.
c) She wants to earn more money.
d) None of the above.
5. What 3 things did she mention about getting fit?
Aiste from Lithuania talks to Christophe about his running.
Listen and choose the correct answer.
1) How far is Christophe going to run?
b. 100 kilometers
c. 42 kilometers
2) He usually does not run more than _____ .
a. 42 kilometers
b. 32 kilometers
c. 21 kilometers
3) How many marathons has he completed?
4) He hopes to run _____ hours.
a. under three
b. about four
c. for at least five
5) Aiste _____ to run.
b. does not want
maximum • Whoa • addicted
build up • endurance
1. What is the …………….. speed on this highway?
2. ………….! You’re getting married?
3. He is a good runner, but he doesn’t have much ………………. .
4. She lets her anger …………….. until she starts yelling at everyone.
5. I think you are …………… to television.
You run a maximum of 32 kilometers.
The maximum of something is the highest value. The minimum is the lowest value. Notice the following:
- The maximum about you can work in one day is 24 hours.
- The maximum storage capacity on my PC is 250 GB.
Whoa! that sounds difficult.
The phrase “whoa!” is used to show surprise, or to show you want something to stop. Notice the following:
- Whoa! You bought a house!
- Whoa! Slow down!
I am addicted to running.
When you are addicted to something, that means you always need to do it or you feel uncomfortable or unhappy. Notice the following:
- I am addicted to video games.
- He is addicted to coffee.
You start slow but build up slowly.
When something builds up, it increases in some manner. Notice the following:
- The fire started slow but built up into an inferno quickly.
- After being in the hospital, it took awhile to build up my strength.
I requires a lot of endurance.
Endurance is the ability to do a difficult process for a long time. Notice the following:
- I am not fast but I have great endurance. I can run for hours.
- To do well in college, you need mental endurance, the ability to focus for a long time.
Source : elllo
Watch this video about Komodo Dragons and complete the sentences.
1. After ………….. months in an incubator, eggs are hatching.
2. Komodo dragons can live over ……….. years.
3. There may be fewer than ……….. of these ancient creatures in the wild.
4. Komodo dragons living on small island in …………….. .
5. Komodo dragons are notoriously difficult to breed in …………… .
6. Catching (= capturing) these rare reptile takes …………. and ………….. .
7. With small populations like the Komodo dragons, it is important for us to learn as much as we can about not only
keeping them …………. but ………….. them.
8. The Komodo dragons at the zoo feast on a diet consisting of ………….. and …………… .
9. The baby Komodo dragons will live in a ……………. for now and move to a larger exhibit as they …………. .
10. These baby dragons are a …………. .
Watch a video about The Pacific Trash Vortex.
Choose the best answer.
1) What is the Pacific Trash Vortex?
a. It’s a huge soup of trash.
b. It’s a Tornado.
c. It’s a landfill.
2) How big is the Pacific Trash Vortex?
a. twice as big as Texas
b. half the size of Texas
c. as big as Texas
3) What percentage of the world’s ocean are covered by floating garbage?
4) When did the Pacific Trash Vortex begin to form?
a. 144 years ago
b. In the mid 20th century
c. We don’t know
5) Where is the eastern garbage patch of the Pacific Trash Vortex located?
a. The video don’t say
b. East of Japan and Wast of Hawaii
c. Between Hawaii and California
6) What percentage of the Pacific Trash Vortex is plastic?
7) How much plastic is produced annually worldwide?
a. 60 millions ton
b. 6 billions ton
c. 60 billions ton
trash = garbage, rubbish
landfill = a large mass of tightly packed waste material
swirling = spinning around
incinerate = to destroy something completely by burning it
disposable = something designed to be thrown away after use
consume = to eat, or use
tangled = tied up
toss = to throw, or throw away
toxic = poisonous
canvas = woven cotton fabric
Watch a video about Emperor penguins.
Are these statements TRUE or FALSE?
1. By May, the warmer temperatures allow the penguin colony to break out. _________
2. Mothers take care of the chicks right away. _________
3. Males may lose up to half their body weight during the winter. __________
4. Chicks start eating as soon as they hatch. _________
5. After 4 months of fasting there is nothing in the male’s stomach. __________
6. The father produces a protein to feed the chick. _________
7. The protein keeps the baby alive for a whole month. _________
8. Mothers reappear just in time. _________
9. The male penguin gladly hands over his chick to the mother. _________
10. During the next 5 months the chick will eat 50 kilos of food. _________
11. In only one helping, the chick can eat one third of its body weight. __________
12. Now male penguins can head out to the ocean to fish. __________
13. The ice edge is very close to the breeding ground. _________
14. Emperor penguins walk and toboggan through the snow on their way to the ice edge. __________
15. Only male penguins fish. The female stays with the chick. _________
16. Each trip involves thousands of kilometers in search of food. _________
Source : EnglishExercise.org
Watch a video about the Mariana Trench and choose the correct answers.
I. How old is the earth according to the video?
- 4.5 billion years
- 14 billion years
- 40 billion years
II. What is the deepest location on Earth and where is it located?
- The Mariana Trench : It is located in the western Pacific Ocean, to the east of the Mariana Islands.
- The Maria French : It is located in the Indian Ocean, to the east of the Mariana Islands.
- The Juliana Dent : It is located in the Arctic, to the west of the Mama Islands.
III. What is the name of the first vessel to reach the bottom of Challenger Deep.
- Three S
IV. How do we measure ocean depth?
- Make equally spaced marks on a rope. Lower the rope over the side of a ship until the rope touches the bottom.
- Send a sound from the ship towards the sea floor. Measure how long it takes to hear the echo.
- All correct.
V. What is the water pressure on the floor of the trench?
- less than 5 tons per square inch(over 10 times the standard atmospheric pressure at sea level)
- more than 8 tons per square inch(over 1000 times the standard atmospheric pressure at sea level)
- more than 10 tons per square inch(over 10,000 times the standard atmospheric pressure at sea level)
VI. How the Mariana Trench Became Earth’s deepest point?
- It is a Subduction zone.
- It is a black hole.
- It is a sea floor.
VII. What is a Subduction zone?
- Seafloor is formed as lava at mid-ocean ridges.
- A zone where one part of the seabed is pushed below another into the earth’s interior.
- Earth’s center.
Watch a video about the story of Evelyn and choose the correct answers.
I) Which community does she belong?
- Retirement community
- Residential community
- Learning community
II) What kind of service did the community used to have?
III) What happened to the community service?
- They change service.
- It has been given up.
- Nothing change.
IV) What is her neighbor’s name?
V) Where did the bus take people to?
- Department store
- Movie theater
- Grocery store
VI) Did she pass the driving test?
VII) Why does she need the driver license?
- She wants to drive cross country.
- She wants to go shopping.
- She wants to take her neighbor to grocery store.
VIII) Instead of money, what did she contribute?
- Her time
- Her soul
- Her car